Phone signal (lack of)

I live in Aurelia House and have absolutely no phone signal in my flat, its like the walls are lined with lead. I’m on Orange/EE.

Does anyone else have this problem?

I moved into Nero House in January, tried the EE signal with no luck. I am now with Vodafone and its fine

I live in block N02 and don’t have EE or Three signal neither. If this is your personal phone, then you should hassle them for a signal booster box. I think quite a few residents got them for free. Unfortunately my EE contract is a company phone, so they are not having any of that. On the plus side: EE is looking into launching Wifi calling soon. http://www.totaltele.com/view.aspx?ID=489318
iPhones to follow suit up to the summer, but as it should have been here since last autumn I wouldn’t bet on that http://community.ee.co.uk/t5/EE-Community-Blog/Three-new-smartphones-to-launch-with-WiFi-Calling/ba-p/274506

Hiya. I’ve been told if you were originally an Orange / T-Mobile customers, your reception will be pants. However if you are directly under EE, your reception will be good. For example, my phone with EE account has 3 to 4 bars throughout my flat. My friends who are with Orange & T-Mobile get 1 bar, bopping in & out! Saying that there have been a few residents who managed to get the free signal booster, you have to fight for it though…

Well I opened a direct EE account, tried the booster, and had no luck! I suppose a lot depends on your situation

Thanks all, at least I now know that its not just my phone/flat that is the problem.

According to the EE website they no longer issue the booster but I’ll give them a call. My contract is due for renewal next month as well so that gives me some leverage.

Cheers.

It’s extremely frustrating. I use my phone for business - whenever someone calls I’m worried about my phone cutting out. Most days I get voicemail messages and my phone doesn’t even ring. I think I’m in a particularly bad spot. My landlord installed a booster but sadly it didn’t make any difference.

I might finally get round to calling O2 to see what they will send me to help the issue.

They shouldn’t have removed the signal booster that was here during the Olympics!

Back in those days everybody had to go to the balcony to make / receive phone calls ( then sheepishly smile at many of the neighbours who were doing exactly the same thing hehe ). Now that is a rare occurrence, well in my block anyway. So I guess signals are getting a bit better but it’s nowhere near satisfactory for many of us especially considering that we are in London! The network providers knows, Triathlon & GLL knows…but any idea what’s being done? Heard the boosters have been fixed on each floor months ago but that’s not being activated still? Am confused…

I am in the same situation as @Lee. We don’t have signal for Three, Vodafone or O2. We have now a booster for Three, but whenever we have issues with Hyperoptic I have to call them from the balcony (booster only works if the broadband is working). Having issues with Hyperoptic means losing Internet, TV and the landline. If that was not bad enough (at least, this is understandable), we lose our mobile signal as well.

Also, the booster does not cover the communal parts of the building, for example, I cannot talk while I take the post because once we go through the door we lose the signal, and I cannot call anyone nor receive any urgent calls from the lift to the flat, I have to wait to actually go inside the flat (to be in range of the booster).

I did call Three one year ago to complain. I told them they should have more signal boosters in the area or offer a discount. I work from home 14 hours a day, not having signal at home meant my mobile line was completely useless. However, I did try other companies and were not working either in my flat, so I assumed the problem stems from the flat.

Having learnt on these forums (when talking about hanging pictures) that the walls are densely wired, I can understand now how the signal cannot penetrate them. We live in a Faraday cage!

Ahhh, ok so the boosters have been installed but not activated, is this true? It was my understanding that when they connected it up I should have seen an instant benefit. I’ll try and find out next week — one of those things I just end up with putting up with.

For what it’s worth - I get a good signal with Three.

Yes please find out Lee. That’s what I been told the last time I checked.

I’m not expecting all flats to be wired the same. That may be a reason why there seem to be some blocks with better signal than others with differences also among flats of the same building.

As for the external signal boosters being enabled or not, it is my understanding the flats were not like they are today during the Olympics, so it might be the case that there was reception only because the current tangled mess of wires was not yet in place.

Combination of things, I am pretty sure someone told me that the interior is lined with somekind of vapour control membrane. Then the triple glazed windows also reduce the signal a bit as they use metal anti-reflective coatings.

The tangled wires were already in place. Half the stuff wasn’t used then either so it’s only since we’ve moved in that things like wrong wiring have come up. The key changes post Olympics are removing false bedroom walls and addition of kitchens. The points to wire in where already there in all/some flats (you can see it in some photos if athletes in flats.) what is now your kitchen was in a bedroom.

There was a big pylon thing at the end of Liberty Bridge Road I believe (read it on an old LLDC planning application) which was for phones/comms (broadcasting) type things but it was temporary. I can’t find any info about boosters on buildings from then which would have required individual planning applications but this might have been Newham (see below) so not easy to find. However I do remember trying to get my head around a very techy doc about phone masts in the area where O2/Orange/3 (I think it was those 3) invested huge amounts of money pre Olympics (were any of them official Olympic partners by any chance?) It was meant to be temporary but it was later decided to keep all in place as it benefited a massive part of East London. This appears to have some impact on some of the other service providers (possibly.) The general consensus is that 3 works better here than other providers and I’ve never had any problems (despite only having one bar even now) until a visit to a flat in N10 and no signal. N10 has had two Newham building control applications approved for a telecoms roof thing and a telecoms undercroft thing. Unless you go to the planning office and ask to see the files you’re unlikely to find out what it’s about but it could be to help signals. If some buildings are worse that others and if this is being done in order of occupancy then N10 first and other buildings to follow. That’s just a guess but there is no obligation for a landlord to ensure you have a decent signal who knows.

The tangled wires were already in place. Half the stuff wasn’t used then either so it’s only since we’ve moved in that things like wrong wiring have come up.

I am not sure what you mean by “half the stuff wasn’t used then either”. If the wires were in place but they were not active, then there was no Faraday cage.

The key changes post Olympics are removing false bedroom walls and addition of kitchens.

I was aware of that. I used to live just past Liberty Bridge Road, so I followed the development closely, although I don’t know as much as you do, that’s for sure. :smile:

The points to wire in where already there in all/some flats (you can see it in some photos if athletes in flats.)

Either they were not all active or the athletes may have experienced our same issues. Maybe the athletes coming from abroad did not bother so much in using mobile phones (very expensive international charges).

The general consensus is that 3 works better here than other providers and I’ve never had any problems (despite only having one bar even now) until a visit to a flat in N10 and no signal.

Yes, not in my flat. Guess what plot I live in (N10).

That’s just a guess but there as there is no obligation for a landlord to ensure you have a decent signal who knows.

What I am saying is that maybe we should stop looking to the companies for a global solution, maybe the problem lies with how our flats have been built. If that were true, the solution could be individual boosters in flats. This is not a panacea, whenever I have visit, my guests do feel a little uncomfortable for not having phone the couple of hours they are in (every number needs to be added to the booster and it only works with mobiles of a given company). I am not asking Triathlon to fix anything (because I don’t think they can), but this situation is very unfortunate and we do need a solution. I have read people are having trouble getting boosters from their companies. That is not right.

On the other hand, Triathlon is not my landlord (I don’t have to pay rent). I bought my flat and they did forget to mention about the Faraday cage bit, maybe that should have lowered the price. I know if I ever sell this flat, I am not going to lie to the potential buyers when they come to see it, and I am going to have a hard time explaining what’s the deal with mobile signal here. This is a liability we were not told about.

Overall, I am extremely happy with the flat and the East Village, who wouldn’t? But stating mobile companies are all on the wrong instead of Triathlon, or that “the landlords have not obligation to ensure you have signal” might not be the fairest approach to the subject. I think this forum is a tool to speak up about the problems we have, not to brush them away. Not having signal in the day and age we live (and with techie companies based here) is a very important matter to be discussed.

I’ve no idea about this Faraday cage business. However I do know that the industrial (it wasn’t built for domestic or so a sparks here told me) cabling was in situ (on the whole) during the Olympics. All of it would have been active bar the kitchen bits and Hyperoptic. Whether it all worked or not who knows, I’m sure the athletes in my flat had better things to do than complain about a load of plug sockets not working. We’ve had problems with wiring/sockets for electrics, Sky and phone.

I’m not brushing anything away, it’s an opinion and if you have no/a poor signal anywhere else you live would you be directing the problem at the landlord? What have Triathlon said about it? Not our problem?

Two bars now!

I’ve done an unscientific poll with my neighbours and the results seem to suggest that Orange/EE users suffer the most regarding phone signals in EV…O2 and Three fare much better.
I am in N10 as well and get no signal in my flat, apart from a little corner in my balcony… however my neighbours on O2 and Three seem to have no signal issues whenever they come over to mine.

I’ve just managed to get a signal box from Orange/EE and i’ll let you all know how it goes once its up and running. There are several residents who have one already and swear by it. Three supply free signal boxes to all their customers too, they’ve sort of led the way on this and every resident on Three that I have spoken to has no complaints either.

@modboy I just called 150 and asked Technical Support for a signal box, they asked me for my postcode and confirmed that there are issues in our area and sent one over within 24 hours.

We are EE customers and have no signal. Have been told it might get better with a booster, though despite other people being offered them free, we would be charged £80
Really don’t know on what grounds they do and don’t charge but it sucks that once again, some folks get shit for free, while I usually sit on the wrong side of the fence
Have given up trying to resolve it

I’m about to jump on 3. Will let you know how it is. @Nik, if I go to yours and reception is zilch, you’ll give me access to your wifi right :smile: