N08 - East Village - E20 | Get Living London | Mace

Latest — N08 19/12/2015

What’s the latest @frankdasilva ? Given the noise I’m hopeful some progress is being made!! :smile:

Hey @Alan and everyone, sorry for the lack of updates, I was away but here’s the latest, photo from Wednesday 3/2/16:

I’ll post some more later. I’ll see if I manage to shoot a timelapse video at some point as well.

Latest — N08 16/02/2016

Latest — N08 08/03/2016
They still digging holes and working on the main foundation. It is possible to see the line where the buildings will be standing now.

I think I read somewhere that they are filling the edges with concrete and then digging out a basement level, then building on top. From looking at manhatten loft gardens I’m sure this will be up in no time.

A short time-lapse showing the N08 development site — East Village, E20 — March 2016. I’ll do a longer one at some point when something more exciting start happening. At the moment they are only drilling holes and preparing the main foundation for the buildings to go up.

Thanks Frank, you are the man!

#YonderFirst

Hi all — here’s another time-lapse update of the N08 development site — East Village, E20 — 12 March 2016.

That pile driver on the right is fun!

N08 Then and Now - One Year Ago.

#YonderFirst

Here’s another time-lapse update of the N08 site from late April to early May 2016.

Mesmerising. Odd that there are old reinforced concrete pile foundations on the left that they are having to painstakingly demolish for this new building project. What was there before?

@Oat44 they are not demolishing and nothing was there before, it is just the way they did the foundation. First they drilled very deep holes and filled with concrete. What you seeing is them digging and preparing what might going to probably be the underground car-park. The left over reinforced piles is the bits they don’t need. I know it is a weird way to build the foundation of a building but that is the way it is. There are probably hundreds of reinforced piles all over the site, they spent 6 months doing it. All the deep pilling machines left the site and I think they completed this phase of the project. Now they just have to dig, clear the bits they don’t need and they will end up with a solid foundation to raise the buildings on. :slight_smile:

Interesting, hadn’t thought of that. It was the last 20 seconds of it that confused me, where that round orange dangling grippy thing was seemingly reducing the height of the piles.

I’m no expert but I think they do it like that so they can start building up and down at the same time. They essentially have some foundations in the concrete piles so they can start building on them whilst they dig out the basement.

I saw a documentary about the building of the Shard and I think they built about 15 storeys high before they had to lay any ‘proper’ foundations.

This is probably the reason they can build a huge tower in a few short. I do find this stuff fascinating.

@oat44. If you look at the video @frankdasilva posted on the 8 March you’ll see the huge drills in action, and how deep they do.

My surveyor wife has just been teaching me all about this technique. She’s about to do the same in one of her projects. Feeling a bit silly now…

@Oat44 Ha! I only know this stuff because I’m a bit of nerd. Whilst I find the building part interesting, I can imagine all the theory and maths behind it is quite long and boring.

Frank,

Thanks very much for producing these videos. I find them fascinating as I work for a competitor to Mace. The dangling orange thing is known as a pile cropper.

The top of each pile in the ground needs the top concrete breaking off to expose the reinforcement within. This used to be done with operatives using hand breaking tools that was slow and noisy. The orange pile cropper on the end of the machine arm is much quicker, safer and quieter.

I’ve provided a link that explains it in more detail for fellow nerds who are interested.

Keep up the good work with the updates. Much more interesting than trying to peer through the hoarding
Pile Cropping Techniques