Cycling Addition at H10 Wallis Road Bridge Approach Proposals | QEOP / Hackney Wick

Development H10 Wallis Road Approach Proposal
Dates TBC
Location Link between Waterden Road and the Wallis Road, Hackney Wick
Application Going to LLDC planning in October

As part of the ‘Quietway 6 - Aldgate to Hainault’ connectivity, here are some of the initial development proposals for H10 Wallis Road bridge. Prepared by Adams & Sutherland with GLA, TFL, Sustrans and London Legacy Development Corporation (LLDC).

Currently there are pedestrian steps and a lift to join the area nearby Copper box and Wallis Yard (at 90 Main Yard, Number 90). The access for bicycles is currently quite awkward, so the proposals are to create a new smoother and safer route for cyclists. Disruption should be minimal with plans to ensure that is stays open for the duration of the works. The narrowest point would be 2.4m and widest 3m with a gradient of 1:92.

The Mayor’s Vision for Cycling is a 10-year plan to deliver cycling improvements with spending set to total £913m by 2022. Within this, more than £123m is expected to be allocated to Quietways.

Notes on the architects

Adams & Sutherland are architects with a reputation for working within challenging and complex contexts. Our projects range from community, cultural and education buildings to urban scale infrastructure and public realm, and reflect a sensitive but precise approach to what already exists, and an interest in creating resonant, meaningful and useful spaces.

Founding directors, Elizabeth Adams and Graeme Sutherland, have taught widely in schools of architecture and are both currently external examiners. The work of the practice is regularly published and exhibited, and has won competitions, awards and plaudits. Adams & Sutherland was awarded Public Realm Architect of the Year in 2012.

Bow Riverside, Bow, Tower Hamlets. In 2011 Adams & Sutherland created the award winning footbridge, walkways and cycle path across River Lea and under Bow Interchange complete the Lea Valley Walk. ‘Bow Riverside, Bow, Tower Hamlets’

This is very welcome.

@Oat44 I always take the route into Whitepost Lane to get to the Wick - this makes perfect sense to me - looking forward to seeing the planning submission. I reckon Number 90 will be happy as they are very cycling centric.

I’m very happy about as I have to carry my bike up and down these stairs everyday on my commute. This+Boris Bike plans are going to be great for the north end of the park.

A slightly seperate issue; that lift doesn’t seem to be very reliable and is ‘out of order’ lots of the time. It seems to take ages to fix as well which must be difficult for users with a disability. — @QEOP